Dear Mayor Mashaba
The Johannesburg Urban Cyclist Association (JUCA) have noted with concern your recent pronouncements, without consultation, on reallocation of budgets for cycling.
We would appreciate the benefit of an audience with yourself and the MMC Transport so we get clarity on the implications of your decision.
We would not want to presume your views and would require further clarity on the following:
1. What is the status of existing and already completed cycling infrastructure?
2. What is the status of cycling infrastructure currently under construction – including the bridge between Alexandra and Sandton?
3. What is the DA Johannesburg’s policy on non-motorized transport? Johannesburg is a city in which two-thirds of households do not have access to private cars.
We at JUCA remain convinced of the multiplier benefits of cycling as a mode of commuter mobility together with walking. These include and are not restricted to:
1. Healthier lifestyles,
2. Improved air quality,
3. Better use of limited urban space,
4. Household savings on mobility costs,
5. Improved access,
6. Safety for all categories of road users.
We hereby request for a reply and/or meeting with yourself as soon as possible so we get official clarity on these matters.
The Board of Directors, JUCA